Acceptance before change
So you are ready to make radical changes in your career.
Maybe it’s because you don’t like how you’ve been, and you are ready to change, to the new you – someone confident, strong, powerful. Someone who knows who they are and what they want to do.
Now how the heck do you actually make the change? It seems like no matter what you try, you just can’t seem to make it happen?!
Here is why.
Because you can’t motivate change from a place of resistance.
You’ll just be fighting against yourself.
Instead, change comes from acceptance first. Because you can’t make change if you don’t first accept where you are starting from. This means, as counter-intuitive as it seems, we must first accept things as they are – who we are now – before we can take action towards being who we want to become.
So how do we accept ourselves? Here are some quick tips you can start applying right now to accept you as you are, and self-acceptance is that first step to becoming who you want to be:
- Remember that there is nothing wrong with you
- Create evidence for how you are exactly the person you are supposed to be right now
- Appreciate how who you’ve been has shaped who you’ve become – and that person is the one ready to take the next step toward their future
- Realize that there is no right or wrong way to be – there is just you. As you are, now
- Realize the only opinion about you that really matters is yours – and you get to decide what you think. And you can choose to accept. It’s a choice. No one can make you choose otherwise.
It is through this acceptance that change can begin.